Backing New Zealand's dairy industry
New Zealand is known internationally for its quality dairy products and innovation. However, volatility around dairy product prices puts enormous strains on all industry participants.
Due to our strong regional presence we act for a significant number of dairy farmers in New Zealand, meaning we have a deep and personal understanding of the difficult business issues dairy producers' face.
Key business issues
- Maximising business profitability or minimising losses. Do you need help with modelling different scenarios to fund operations in this environment?
- Farming has industry-specific tax rules. Does your adviser have extensive experience with those rules and know how to apply them to your specific circumstances?
- Good advice needs the right foundations to work as intended. Has your adviser made sure you have the right structures in place to get the intended results?
- The smallest farm is a multi-million dollar business. Do you need assistance with business plans and budgets so you know where you're going?
- Benchmarking your business is a good start to improving your profitability. Do you know where to start?
- You need to know how to deal with the business when you're ready to move on. Do you need help to prepare a succession strategy for your farming business?
- Staffing issues can make or break a business. Do you need advice on employments matters and efficient payroll processing from an adviser who understands the special features of the dairy farming industry?
How we can help you
In addition to our core business of compiling financial statements and providing expert taxation planning and advice, we use our extensive rural business knowledge in the following areas to assist you with all your business needs. We can help to:
- Structure your business to your advantage – (e.g. forming trusts, companies, or partnerships)
- Offer expertise and experience in Māori farm ownership
- Provide specialist tax planning in specific rural matters, including livestock valuation and income equalisation
- Apply the full extent of Government social entitlements and eligibilities
- Support all your software needs, including Banklink and CashManager Rural
- Help you monitor and plan using tools such as cash flows and budget
- Benchmark your business
- Assist you and your family through effective succession planning
- Support you with all your employment matters and payroll processing
Contact one of our specialist agribusiness advisers to find out more today.
What our clients say...
BDO have been great for our business development from the outset. Our goal is to increase farm ownership through the traditional sharemilking route. Their advice and support over the last 8 years has been invaluable in helping us reach our targets. BDO are very supportive no matter how small your business. They are prepared to be there through good, bad and while your business grows.
Jeremy and Stacey Duckmanton
DMT Dairies – Growing farm ownership through the traditional sharemilking route