Practical guidance to navigate change
Sheep and beef farming in New Zealand has undergone many changes over the past ten years, with sheep, beef and wool prices particularly volatile. Navigating change successfully requires expert advice from a dedicated team of specialists servicing this sector.
At BDO, we have a thorough understanding of the environment sheep and beef farmers operate in, and your business needs now and in the future.
Key business issues
- Succession of management and farming assets in its many forms
- Developing the right business structure for the future
- Maintaining a focus on productivity and controlling the controllable
- Minimising tax liabilities
- Minimising business risk
- Working through growth and cash flow requirements in a volatile environment
How we can help you
In addition to our core business of compiling financial statements and providing expert taxation planning and advice, we use our extensive rural business knowledge in the following areas to assist you with all your business needs:
- Structure your business to your advantage – (e.g. forming trusts, companies, or partnerships)
- Offer expertise and experience in Maori farm ownership
- Provide specialist tax planning in specific rural matters, including livestock valuation and income equalisation
- Apply the full extent of Government social entitlements and eligibilities
- Support all your software needs, including Banklink and CashManager Rural
- Help you monitor and plan using tools such as cash flows and budget
- Benchmark your business
- Assist you and your family through effective succession planning
- Support you with all your employment matters and payroll processing
- Full back office support for corporate farm operations and multiple -owned properties.
With our strong regional presence we represent a large number of sheep and beef farmers from small holdings to large corporate farms. We make a point of knowing farming. Many of our advisers are farmers themselves.
Our specialist advisers have taken leadership positions in the sector including:
- Developing and maintaining a Livestock Tax Valuation Model which is used by the majority of accountants throughout New Zealand
- Active involvement in industry bodies
- Regular media commentators on sector issues
- Lecture fellow professionals on Rural Taxation matters.
Learn more about the BDO Livestock Tax Valuation Model