Save the date - January 25th 2020. The BDO Taranaki Around the Mountain Cycle Challenge is back for another year.
The Taranaki Cycle Challenge has become one of New Zealand's premier road cycle events with over 1000, competitive and recreational cyclists enjoying the day. This event is always held on the Auckland/Bay of Plenty Anniversary weekend and is Taranaki's longest running Around the Mountain recreational cycling ride.
This event has been organised primarily as a recreational cycling event. There is 148km of magnificent mountain and rural scenery to view while passing through 11 Taranaki townships. There are 5 transition areas on the course and each has water, electrolyte and toilets. The transitions are at Okato, Opunake, Kaponga, Pembroke School and Inglewood for the teams and Te Kiri for the 2 person change over. There are also 4 bike mechanic vans on the course for anyone needing mechanical assistance.
The different categories available to enter are;
- Solo 148 kms
- Solo 74 kms
- Solo Ebikes 148 kms
- Solo 3 per team
- Solo 2 laps
- 2 person relay (74 kms each)
- 3 – 6 person team or business house challenge
- Accumulator 1 – 6 person team progressive relay
New for 2019 was a mountain bike race with the option of a long or mid length course
- Leg 1 New Plymouth to Okato is hilly - 27km
- Leg 2 Okato to Opunake is undulating - 35km
- Leg 3 Opunake to Kaponga is undulating - 26km
- Leg 4 Kaponga to Pembroke School climbing- 18km
- Leg 5 Pembroke School to Inglewood relatively easy ride to Inglewood - 25 km
- Leg 6 Inglewood to New Plymouth is a relatively easy ride with two hills prior to entering New Plymouth - 17km
Visit the Cycle Challenge website for more information and to view videos and results from previous years
CYCLE CHALLENGE WEBSITE